FASHION. BEAUTY. LIFESTYLE. an indecisive girl's life

Friday 19 May 2017

MET gala


If only I could be lucky enough to attend the MET gala....
Okay so this post is a lot later than I wanted it to be because as we have already established I am an idiot who's got massively behind on all of her work and needs to catch up before the deadline in 2 weeks time. 
Who's stressing? Certainly not me *sobs loudly. 


On May 1st, New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art opened its doors for the Met Gala, the annual invitation-only fundraiser to benefit the museum's Costume Institute, and a launch party for its spring exhibition. Personally it's an event I look forward too every single year- I mean I am a fashion student after all. Living in NYC would be my dream but attending this event would be something else. 
I just love looking at what people choose to wear because at the end of the day it is one of the biggest fashion events of the year. One thing I will say though is that I don't like the 'best & worst dressed' articles that always come out afterwards because everyone is individual, 'each to their own' and all that. There's always going to be someone who loves to hate what your wearing- you can't please everyone all the time! 


To the Costume Institute, the MET gala has always been a massive deal. It's the only department at the Met that has to finance its own activities, and the gala is its biggest fundraiser. The event was initially named the 'Party of the Year', but it's only relatively recently that it fulfilled that promise.
From 1948 to 1971, the benefit wasn't pegged to an exhibition, and was held off-site at the Waldorf Astoria or the Rainbow Room. Guests (mostly New York society types) indulged in fine dining and were entertained by "skits, raffles, and pageants of models in historic costume," according to the museum's records.

Anna Wintour, Vogue's current editor, shifted the focus to celebrities when she took over as chairwoman in 1999, recruiting A-list including Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Tom Brady. The Vogue team's participation in the planning and execution were the highlight of the 2016 documentary "The First Monday in May."
"Ms. Wintour has used an intimate understanding of fashion, and of her own role in that universe, to transform a dowager social event into a frenzied red-carpet romp that now surpasses, at least in terms of frocks, the Oscars,".


This year's exhibition is dedicated to 74-year-old Japanese designer 'Rei Kawakubo'. One of fashion's most revered creative visionaries, she founded the avant garde label Comme des Garçons (French for "like some boys") in 1969, and was part of a cohort of radical Japanese designers to debut in Paris in the early 1980s.
For decades she's served as a source of inspiration to creators across disciplines. In 2010, Edward Enninful, the soon to be new editor of British Vogue, told Another magazine "she proved that you could be an outsider and still be influential, that you could follow your instincts and still make a difference."

"It's a Met show for Comme des Garçons, not a Comme des Garçons show at the Met. Compromises were made."


Slightly controversial opinion but the Kardashian clan aren't my favourite people, personally I just don't get the hype around them. Saying that it doesn't stop me wanting to own a Kylie lip kit or wanting to look like Kendall. So they've converted even me. One thing I do love about the Kardashians though is Kendall's sense of style- I just think she can pull off any outfit incredibly well. I mean if anyone else wore this dress then they wouldn't pull it off but Kendall is the sort of girl who could wear a bin bag and still look good. 


Okay so I'm gonna contradict myself here but I hate Zendaya's outfit, I just think it makes her look so old and frumpy. Like this is THE fashion event of the year, why on earth would you want to waste it on this dress! Even her hair, I don't like hair- it's too wild, too much! For me I think it's a combination of the style of dress & the print, I do like floral chic but would I choose to wear it? Probably not. When I was younger floral, typical girly clothes were definitely my style but now I'm more into the rock chick sort of vibes- I would rather look edgy than girly any day of the week. I feel like Zendaya is such a cool, edgy person that she could totally have worked a ripped style dress. Maybe she wanted to mix things up- who knows but I think this outfit was a mistake. 


Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds, are literally the cutest couple in the world. Blake is another person who can literally pull off any outfit- she knows her style & what works for her and she will always adapt whatever the theme is to fit with it. 


Watching the Disney channel when I was younger, I was never a massive fan of Selena Gomez- I never had anything against her but she just wasn't my 'cup of tea', Over the last year or so my opinion on her has massively changed especially since she co produced '13 Reasons Why', I just love her so much, her style , her hair and just what she stands for. She just seems like a really nice person!
This dress is absolutely beautiful as well! By far my favourite outfit, I would literally go out and buy this dress tomorrow if I could afford it- lol to the broke student life. 


Rihanna raise the bar every time she wears an outfit, I mean I can't say I am obsessed with this look but I love how she is experimental with her fashion- I wish I was more like that! This isn't the sort of look you can wear just to pop down to the shops but for major events in the calendar it works. 
You go girl!


What was your favourite outfit from this year's MET gala?
Comment below.

Take care & I'll see you all very soon.

X

Images taken from Google.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig