FASHION. BEAUTY. LIFESTYLE. an indecisive girl's life

Monday 23 January 2017

Losing My heart to NYC


I've often wondered how people can say somewhere feels like home after barely being there for a few hours but for me that was exactly how NYC felt....


As part of my course we were offered the opportunity to spend 5 days in NYC & obviously I couldn't say no. New York has been a dream destination of mine for many years so it was pretty ineivitable that I'd say yes to going on the trip of a lifetime.
I mean I always knew I'd love NY but I didn't think I'd love it as much as I did, honestly if someone offered me the chance of living there tomorrow then I would take it in a heartbeat.

Obviously the trip was for educational purposes although I did do quite a few standard tourist things whilst there too,  because let's be honest who wouldn't explore everything NY had to offer?



Day 1 pretty much just consisted of flying out, eating my body weight in free food on the plane (Virgin airlines are actually amazing) & crying with laughter at Bridget Jones Baby. Touch down at JFK airport felt like an unreal dream, very surreal. Not going to lie when we first arrived there I did feel extremely far away from home but obviously I couldn't wait to explore too. Our first night involved getting settled into Hotel Wolcott, where we found out we had a room that had the Empire State directly outside the window- absolutely unreal! The hotel was everything you needed, it was clean, comfortable & location was perfect.



Other than grabbing food (yes more food) & looking for free wifi, we didn't really explore much the first night because we were all shattered from a long day of travelling. Still I will never forget the feeling I had walking down the streets of Manhattan for the first time, I know I keep saying this but it just felt like a "pinch me" moment.



Day 2 we all felt perfectly refreshed and ready to explore....
After starting out our day in Starbucks (what can I say the than I just love it), we caught a subway down to the World Trade centre. I thought the subways would be extremely stressful but they were so simple & easy to get around on.
The World Trade centre was just wow! It sounds so stupid but I didn't actually realise the buildings would be that tall- I remember looking up at one building and it just kept going as far as you could see. Obviously it was deeply saddening seeing the 9/11 memorial, it was a truly heartfelt sight to see and really felt like a poignant moment on the trip. The size of the buildings around there really put into context what a massive impact the twin towers collapsing must have had.




After there we visited the Brooklyn Bridge which again felt unreal (lets just be honest the whole trip was unreal to me), I can't believe I actually walked on the Brooklyn Bridge, like it's something I've wanted to do for years & years and now it's actually happened! We didn't actually walk the entire way across the bridge because we were like it's too far & we were too hungry and tired already. If I were to go NY again I would definitely explore Brooklyn (I say 'if' but lets be honest 'when').
As a typical tourist I had my picture taken on the bridge too...




We then headed back to the hotel to chill for a bit before visiting Times Square!
Times Square was the first moment I felt l understood what people meant when they said 'oh New York the city that never sleeps', the lights were just so bright! I can't remember what time we went but it was dark, yet the amount of lights made it feel like daytime.
Weirdly Times Square didn't feel as big as I thought it would have been, on the TV it looks huge but really it wasn't that big at all maybe it was all those other gigantic buildings that put it into perspective.  Still it was an incredible sight to see!




Day 3 was jam packed! Again we started our morning in Starbucks, before heading to a 'Garment Tour' which I'm actually going to do a separate post on as that was a required activity as part of the trip. After the tour we finished up in Chelsea and ended up finding this very yummy place for lunch giving us chance to refuel after a busy morning. We then visited the FIT museum as they had a Black designers exhibition on we all wanted to see- which was truly stunning!  This is another thing I'll do a post on.



After that we headed towards 5th avenue because as fashion students we like to shop, not that we could afford anything there. Still a girl loves to dream in Tiffany's & Co, got to dream it to believe it!
We then explored Grand Central Station, where all I could think about was when the animals escaped from the zoo in the film Madagascar and ended up at Grand Central. Still can't believe I actually went to where they filmed it!




Like many other curious people we visited Trump Tower, which was an experience to say the least, people were chanting outside, holding up signs, you even had the whole families posing for photos like it would be the image for their Christmas card next year.
Next on our agenda was the Rockafeller centre, which felt like a magical wonderland even without the Christmas tree. Watching the ice skaters on the rink was the most relaxed I've felt in a long time. We didn't go up Rockafeller because well you can't do everything in one trip, got to leave some things for another time. We instead visited NBC studios where I got to sit in an actual Voice chair *let's take a moment to appreciate that* before heading for food at an amazing place called the Stardust Diner. Which was a really cool American diner where you had hopeful Broadway stars singing to you whilst you ate, it's sounds a bit odd but it was the BEST thing! Like a Broadway show but cheaper.






Day 4 was still a busy one but not quite as busy as day 3. We visited Central Park which was beautiful, so photogenic and peaceful, if I'm ever lucky enough to live in NYC then I want one of those apartments that overlooks Central Park. We also went to the zoo which was well cute and we saw the Natural History Museum. Which looks exactly like it does in the movies!
THEN WE WENT UP THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING.
Being on that 86th floor felt like being on top of the world, not that I know what that feels like but it's what I'd imagine it'd feel like. So crazy & surreal, a memory I will never ever forget!







On the 5th day (our last full day) myself & one of my friends felt a bit ill so we kinda chilled for a bit and visited Staten Island & the Statue of Liberty. It was nice to have more of a chilled day after a hectic week. It was such a beautiful day, Staten Island looked absolutely gorgeous in the sun.




The 6th day was the day we flew home, luckily it was an evening flight so we had the morning to continue exploring Manhattan. We just did some last minute shopping, including myself splurging on an Urban Decay palette in Sephora- yes my bank now hates me. I could have done a lot more damage in there if I'm entirely honest...

So that's the end of my NYC post.
I know it's been a very, VERY long one, I was tempted to break it up into a couple of separate posts but I just wanted it to be all together. As you've already seen in the title of this post I have currently lost my heart to NYC, life feels so empty without being there. I have no plans to go back to NYC in the next few years which makes me feel very sad but I'm more determined than ever now to achieve my dream of living there. One day that Central Park apartment will be mine!

Hope you've all enjoyed this post, 
Have you ever been to NYC? If so where did you love visiting?
If you haven't been then where would you love to go?
I'd love to hear in the comments below.

Take Care & have a great day!

X

All photos are my own. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig