FASHION. BEAUTY. LIFESTYLE. an indecisive girl's life

Monday 14 August 2017

Just one 'Hot Mess'


"I might not be perfect but I'm one hot mess who's getting her shit together" 
Lucy Vine, Hot Mess. 

Growing up I was that child who always had a book in her hand, not joking my parents used to have to tell me to put down the book instead of to pick one up! For me reading funded my huge imagination- I was always making up stories convincing myself that whatever I did when I grew up, it was going to be something involving writing... I kinda guess little 6 year old me was right. If I had my blog when I was little it would've been filled with the most random stories you could have ever imagined. 


Lately though it's a different story, reading a 'book' lost it's sparkle for me. I was always too busy, too tired or simple just couldn't be bothered with reading about someone else's love story when mine is virtually no existent. Still I was determined whilst I was away to put down social media and let my imagination run wild again...

Normally in the run up to a holiday I would have had my books sorted a long time ago but this year I couldn't have been less organised- approximately 12 hours before my flight I was frantically downloading enough books onto my kindle to keep me occupied for 2 weeks (so about 20 would do it!). 'Hot Mess' was a book I completely downloaded by accident, but I'm so glad I did! I haven't read book like it in years, in fact I'm not sure I've ever read a book quite like it. Believe me the fact I'm even writing a review on it seriously shows how much I loved it!

I won't give too much of the book's story away incase any of you guys want to give it a read (I 100% recommend you do btw). Totally relatable to any Twenty something, 'Hot Mess' follows Ellie Knight through tales of friendship, romance & family, it'll leave you laughing and have you questioning you own relatable choices. In the overview of the book it said "Meet your spirit animal: Ellie Knight" at the time I was like 'yeah right, how relatable can she possibly be?'. Turns out quite a lot!


"Unexpected, relatable, charming and a laugh out loud"

It makes you realise that life isn't like a Disney movie and that's okay! So what if you don't have a so-called 'Prince Charming' you're doing just fine as you are! "I can still have my Disney ending, thank you everyone. But a fairytale ending doesn't have to mean a prince riding in on his white horse to save me". You know how people always talk about that one book that changed their life, well until now I had always thought 'what a load of rubbish! How on earth can a few words on a page really change the way you think?' Actually it can change you a lot! This is the first book I've read in while where I started reading it as one person and finished it another. 

Lucy Vine's inspiration for the book was that she was "fed up with seeing the happily ever afters in films" because I hate to break it to you all she's right, they're virtually non-existent, leaving you comparing your life to some made up fairytale that never happens in the real world. Because in reality, love isn't like the movies, in fact it's the polar opposite, in the films the girl always gets the guy, in reality chances are you won't. 


The book has received lots of praise online: 'Lucy Vine is always hilarious and with Hot Mess she's channelling her uniquely pithy tone into shining a light on the daily toils of being single and millennial. I'd swipe right for Hot Mess'. Have to say I couldn't agree more with Grazia. 

I hadn't heard of Lucy Vine before this book but she is a fab author and simply cannot wait to check out more of her books in the near future. I'm sure they'll be just as impossible to put down!
Turns out this 'reading accident' was exactly what I needed so thank you Lucy for writing a book every girl (single or not) needs to read! Somehow being single doesn't feel quite so bad after reading this... if you are still yet to give 'Hot Mess' a read then why have you not? Put down whatever you are doing and move this book straight to the top of list!

Read it already?
I'd love to hear your best bits in the comments below.

Hope you enjoyed this post and I'll see you guys on Friday for more from me (plenty of time to give Hot Mess a read).

X

Images from Google
Quotes referenced from 'Hot Mess' Lucy Vine. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig